What is your mechanical skill set? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

What is your mechanical skill set?

Frosty JT

I've been thinking about expanding my mechanical knowledge so I can work on my rig when I'm on the road. I know basic stuff, but if anything major happened or even semi involved, I would be clueless. I want to learn how to weld as well.

Those of you with some mechanical chops, where did you get your experience?

I wouldn't say I have basic skills, but I'm handy in the garage when I need to be. My father was a mechanic and for me, I did learn a little from him growing up.

I recommend a collage class. Not a whole program but something that covers basics, especially electrical and drivability. See if you can take a basic welding class also.

Most mechanically inclined people can fumble their way through things. Its important to know how to do things but difficult to diagnose if you don't understand how it actually works to begin with. Some parts you can research online but nothing beats being able to ask an instructor a question if something doesn't make sense.

I spent almost 30 years working for GM then semi retired and now I teach automotive. My students can range anywhere from not understanding the difference in screw drivers to advanced diagnosis using a lab scope.
The most common thing I see is, being able to do the work but get stuck diagnosing because they don't understand how something works.

If you understand how everything works on your vehicle, most of the issues would be caught during maintenance. Understanding also means you know its lifespan and know how to see if its in good shape.

Buy a good volt meter and learn volt drops. Don't just learn how to do them but learn why the reading is what it is.

Welding wise, are you sure you want to jump down that rabbit hole?
99% of all my welding is MIG. I recommend you not start out with a budget 110 welder. Get a nice small 220 volt Miller with a tank. Buy used if you can. Buy a good auto darkening helmet. If you cheap out on the welder, don't on your hood.

TIG on the other hand is slower but more precise. You will definitely need a class before you attempt a TIG.

Most importantly, build stuff and keep improving your projects. Write down an idea. Figure out how to do it. That also means you may need to learn about some part you have little knowledge. I had an idea a couple of years ago but to do it properly, I needed to learn Lithium batteries. It not only helped with the project but I got ideas for other things also.

Yeah pretty much the same for me, learned from the school of hard knocks. Wouldn’t say I’m ready to swap out a motor, but kind of simple things, I’m ready for it.