Subaru Ascent vs F150 sized truck. | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Subaru Ascent vs F150 sized truck.

les65

I've driven Subaru's with manual transmissions for years. I've gotten 200 to 220k miles out of them with minimal issues.

I prefer the low center of gravity bc of the Boxer engine, reliability, and handling of the Subaru.

I will be doing some work in Alaska. How much more capable is an F150 sized truck to a Subaru Ascent? Let's say neither is lifted and both have decent off road or snow tires. Which will do better in deep snow on the road?

I was looking to put good tires on either.

Ascent mods, maybe Torq lock rear and front differentials.

Truck mods would be a Rough Country higher front and fear bumper, and Torq lock differentials.

If deep snow capabilities are similar, I will go with the Ascent. How much more capable is an F150? I fear that I will lose the Subaru's balance and on road bad weather control for the ability to drive through slightly deeper snow with an F150.

Last edited:
IMO the big win with the Subaru is the traction control system you gain. Well not to mention you can get a zillion miles from the Subaru and the Ford will have a much higher maintenance cost over time.

Can we assume the F150 is 4WD? Will you have weight in the back of the F150, if you have a cap on the back, that might be worthy.