RTT Enthusiasts - Are You Happy With Your Choice of Tent(s)? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

RTT Enthusiasts - Are You Happy With Your Choice of Tent(s)?

Sarah Castro

I'm in the market for a rooftop tent (RTT) and would love to get your thoughts and experiences on the options available. Your opinions carry a lot of weight, so I'm eager to hear from you before making a decision.

I'm no stranger to ground tents and have even roughed it out with just a sleeping bag under the stars, but I'm ready to embrace this new adventure with an RTT. I've been considering hard shell tents around the $3-4.5k price range and soft tents for about $2.5-3k. I'm aware of the pros and cons of both, but hearing from those who've actually used them would be incredibly valuable.

So, what's your preferred choice, and if you could change anything about it, what would it be? Any insights or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

I ran a standard soft shell RTT for years. Mine isn't made any more but it was the square (ish) soft tent. I camped all year in all kinds of weather. It held up well to everything including high winds.

If I was to buy another it would be a hard shell design. Less cloth to flap in the wind and easier to pack up. I would also get some kind of annex. If its windy, raining, real cold or just dark. its nice to have an enclosed area you can heat if needed and put down a porta potty. Most of the guys in my group have hard shell RTT's and I'm the only one who doesn't have a walled wrap around awning (270?)

I was on a New Year run. It rained hard during the five days of travel. One of the others in my group needed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. What sucked was when she went outside an ice storm blew in.

But you don't need a RTT to use one of those awnings right? Now if I understand this correctly, using walls on a 270 awning can't be sealed up like the space you would get with an annex room right?

Correct.
My old RTT folded out and had the option of an annex which covered the ladder and enclosed it all the way down. If the hard shell folds open and hangs off the side you may have that option also. If not, you may want to add in an awning with walls. The challenge will be where the ladder is. One of my friend rig has the ladder on the rear. he steps down and to the left. Now he is under his awning. The only down side is the ladder is exposed.
The only time this is a challenge is if its raining.

If possible, try to seek out people with diffrent RTT's or go to an expo to compare.. Sit in it, move around and try the ladder. I liked mine for the amount of room inside. Some of the hard shell are great for sleeping but moving around to get out can be an issue if you have one or more people sleeping inside.

+1 Overland west expo is happening in a couple weeks in Flagstaff, AZ. There will be lots to see there is you are in the area or up for a road tip. One of the larger overland expos in the states.

IMO having a roof top tent is the way to go. Sleeping on the ground in the wild is just not my thing. It’s nice to be up and off the ground, just a safer more comfortable nights sleep.

Thank you, we did go to the show. It was super wet on Friday and Saturday we finally got to walk around. I think we are going to go with a 23Zero tent. What do you all think of that brand?

Its one of the better brands, you cant go wrong with that. Look into an annex if you can. it gives a nice place to change cloths, porta potty, Some people put their heater down there and a place to sit if its raining.