Mounting solar panel to a roof vs on an angle? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Mounting solar panel to a roof vs on an angle?

Ryan Neeley

As I understand when mounting solar panels, you want these on an angle to the sun. But what happens to the effectiveness of that solar panel if you are mounting it to the roof of your truck? I'm researching getting a solar panel and then mounting it on my trucks roof, but want to make sure that I mount the best way that I can.

Which while on topic, are there mounts that are lightweight that allow you to pivot or angle the panel when you get to location?

Permanently mounting them on angle I don't think is a good idea as they will look wierd, take space and also hinder aerodynamics.

There are mounts that tilt and shouldn't be that heavy.

What are the solar panels for? In the case of my Jackery I just fold them up put them in the trunk of my car and take them out at camp to place them according the location of the sun.

Defintelly on the roof on some kind of a tilting mount. It will look weird mounted on an angle and will destroy any aerodynamics your truck has

Get a quality solar panel and that will offset the need for an angle, just remember to keep your panel clean as much as you can.