Low profile diesel heater to mount under roof top tent? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Low profile diesel heater to mount under roof top tent?

Why not mount it in a case and use a hose to get up to your tent? That way you don't need to worry about diesel getting all over the top of your tent if you spill any.

Its possable if you have the room. Mine sits in a pelican case and doesn't damage it. The exhaust gets pretty hot, so that needs to be insulated and routed so a breeze dosent blow back into the tent. Feeding fuel will need to be looked at.
Over all, no reason you cant. I've been eyeing the Propex heater to mount under my trailer.

What hose are you all running with yours? I found the further away you get from what you are trying to heat, the heat is lost in the pipe. My heater blows a lot of smoke out all the time so we have it as far away as we can.

If it blows smoke its running too much fuel. Some have a priming feature. I dont use it but one of my buddies does. If he leaves it on, it smokes badly. When he finally turns it off, it can smoke for another 20 mins.

I have two hoses I run. One is an insulated hose. I have two issues with that one. First is over time I get a burning smell and the second is my heater is too hot for my trailer.

I balance this by running a 10ft expandable aluminum hose first. That bleeds off enough heat to not overheat my hose and keep the temp comfortable inside my trailer. I end up with 10ft aluminum and 10ft insulated. I can stretch or collapse both hoses. I found that the aluminum hose needs to be almost full length .

If I was going into an RTT, i would run the aluminum hose to the minimum length. Just enough not to overheat my insulated one.