Hunting cabin solar offgrid solar vs wind? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Hunting cabin solar offgrid solar vs wind?

Steve Messer

We have a hunting cabin that is used for that and camping. But right now we have been using a Generac iq3500 for power. Kind of getting over the noise of generator running all the time. Have any of you jumped on full solar or wind? Either I'm guessing will dump energy into some sort of huge battery bank right?

Two questions: if wind, how much wind will create enough power to keep batteries charged?

Next: if talking solar, if you have shorter winter days or crappy weather, then what? Will you use both solar and wind to make sure you have all covered?

Stick with solar, with a decent battery system set up you should be able battery backup that will last days. But then again, it depends on how much power consumption you are drawing. We have a cabin and frankly speaking, we have a small 42" tv in there that is most likely the biggest power demand. Other than that we have energy saving bulbs that use 8.3W of power. While we do have power here, my energy bill is next to nothing.

I'm not going to say wind won't be good to have, but depending on how much sun shine your area sees, that will account for most of your energy gathering. Unless you live in a high wind area.