How is 4x4 different from AWD? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How is 4x4 different from AWD?

Kevin Clark

New hear and not sure where to post this. Actually we officially have our first Jeep and truck that has official 4x4. We have a Ford Edge that has AWD and I'm trying to understand how is this different? All 4 wheels spin and create traction? Obviously there is the clearance issue, the Jeep takes that, but I'm trying to put my arms around how are these drivetrains different?

Thank you for your help and good to meet you all!

Kevin

I'll give this a shot...

You are correct in that both 4WD and AWD are drivetrains that provide power to all four wheels of a Jeep and Ford Edge, but they work in slightly different ways.

Your Jeep, AKA... 4WD, or four-wheel drive, is like a strong and dependable friend who's always ready to go off-road and get dirty. It's great for when you need extra traction in rough terrain, but it can be a bit of a gas guzzler on the highway. Think of it like a big, burly lumberjack who can chop down a tree in no time, but also drinks beer like it's water.

On the other hand your Ford Edge, AKA AWD, or all-wheel drive, is like a fancy and sophisticated friend who's always dressed to impress. It's great for when you need extra traction on slippery roads, but it's not as capable off-road as 4WD. Think of it like a fancy chef who can make a fancy meal out of anything, but isn't as good at chopping wood.

In short, 4WD is for off-road and rough terrain, while AWD is for slippery surfaces, but both of them can get you to your destination, just with different styles.

Not bad.
I'll fill in the few blanks and try to keep it simple. First off the difference in classification is more "full time" and "part time".

Part time is considered 4wd. Your in two wheel drive until you engage the front diff. On even surfaces, all four wheels spin the same. When you turn their is a fight between the front and the rear. If you put it in 4wd on pavement, you really see this. The transfercase starts to bind. I have never seen a part time vehicle not have a low range.

Full time is considered AWD. All for wheels are always powered and to keep the front and rear from fighting, their is a slip mechanism in the transfer case. This eliminates most of the binding in tight turns. Most car AWD's and some SUV AWD's don't have a low range. Those are designed for bad weather driving, not so much off road.
Some AWD systems will have a "lock" mode. Its a non binding transfercase until its locked. Now it acts like a part time and will bind on the street. The "slip" part can move power to the wheels with the least traction. This eliminates that issue. My Cruiser transfercase was like this. AWD, Low range and lock feature.

My old S10 Blazer was a part time 4wd but had a setting for full time. The transfercase had a slip mechanism I could engage giving me AWD for street driving in the snow.

My Cruiser was an AWD. I modified the transfercase and made it part time. By doing this I gained better handling and almost two MPG from not having the front turn all the time. But if I engage it on the street, the transfercase will bind.

Holy smokes, I just woke up and had this page still open and surprised to have this answered already. Thank you both so much!!

Now pertaining to tire wear does 4wd wear any different from AWD?

Yea to a degree. Your part time will wear like a normal 2wd vehicle. The full time has power to the front all the time so the front fights turning a bit. This can cause a bit more front wear.
There's actually several diffrent AWD configurations. In the larger SUV's, I think there's only two. Some of the AWD's are better for tire wear than others.

I'll jump on this...

Disadvantages of AWD:

1. Increased cost: AWD vehicles are usually more expensive than their 2WD counterparts.
  2. Decreased fuel economy: The additional weight and complexity of the drivetrain and power transfer systems result in lower fuel efficiency compared to 2WD vehicles.
  3. Less off-road capability: Although some AWD vehicles are marketed as "all-terrain" vehicles, they are not designed for serious off-roading and lack the tough components and low-range gearing found on 4WD vehicles.

Disadvantages of 4WD:

1. Increased cost: Like AWD vehicles, 4WD vehicles are also more expensive than 2WD vehicles.
  2. Decreased fuel efficiency: The extra weight and power needed to drive four wheels instead of two result in lower fuel efficiency compared to 2WD vehicles.
  3. Maintenance: The complexity of 4WD systems requires more maintenance, which can be costly.
  4. Weight: 4WD vehicles are usually heavier than 2WD vehicles, which affects both fuel efficiency and handling.
  5. Limited on-road handling: The added weight and complexity of the 4WD system can negatively affect on-road handling, making the vehicle less nimble and more prone to understeer or oversteer.

Mostly yes.
Now if your wife drove my AWD 96 Cruiser, I would put it against most part time 4wd vehicles. Factory lockers, solid front and rear axles, lower low range than most 4wd, ability to lock the slip clutch in the transfer case and its a seven passenger SUV. Yes, you can crawl it and the fenders will fit 35's without a lift or cutting.

AWD does not mean incapable. It depends on what you get. If its a car, its commonly a front wheel drive transaxle with a drive to the rear. I don't think any of these had a low range. If its an AWD large truck/suv, their a rear wheel drive vehicle with a drive to the front. These commonly had a low range with the truck transfer case commonly having a part time/full time switch.

Take the Subaru outback or the Volkswagen Toureg. These had some of the best traction control systems on the market making them more capable than most 4wd and they didn't have a low range.

For the most part AWD is designed to be able to navigate snow on the highway, heavy rain and dirt roads without having to lock hubs or stop and engage low range. Couple that with the modern traction control and now you have something that will out drive most vehicles on the market in adverse conditions.

The problem is now going to be the cool factor. What looks better, an AWD Volkswagen or a lifted jeep with 40's. Both spend most of their life driving on the street and graded dirt roads.

Last edited:
Ha! I remember back in the day (first getting going), I thought AWD was the same. I found out the hard way that it wasn't!