Ground Grabba vs making your own?? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Ground Grabba vs making your own??

DRAX

I keep getting Ground Grabba emails including ones this week on some sale that is ending. These things seem kind of pricey for being just a bolt you screw into the ground. Unless I'm missing something, can this be duplicated with large bolts picked up from Home Depot?

Dude make your own! There is no way in hell I would drop that kind of cash on some bolts to go into the ground!

While on topic, I would guess they have a tough time selling these things. I can't imagine there is THAT many people willing to pay the $$ they are asking for a bunch of bolts. Just my 2 cents.

Such a good idea! So will these lose their biting power over time of use?

I could see breaking the plastic ones they sell and twisting the metal ones if it got stuck.

I saw a guy at one of my events with a threaded one like those, installing it with a 1/2 cordless impact. By the time he had one in (rocks made him keep changing where it went) I was done with my six.

I build mine out of 18" long, 1/2 round solid bar for dirt/rocky soil and 1" angle for soft. None of mine are threaded though. Cant beat a nice piece of steel and a short handled 2 pound sledge to get the job done quickly.

Nothing short of a weighted plate is going to really work in sand unless you get creative with burying stuff ( I have buried 2x4's in the sand to keep my tarp in place before,),

Plastic ones are only good for sand or snow. If you try to drill those into solid ground or ice, they will break.

I could see breaking the plastic ones they sell and twisting the metal ones if it got stuck.

I saw a guy at one of my events with a threaded one like those, installing it with a 1/2 cordless impact. By the time he had one in (rocks made him keep changing where it went) I was done with my six.

I build mine out of 18" long, 1/2 round solid bar for dirt/rocky soil and 1" angle for soft. None of mine are threaded though. Cant beat a nice piece of steel and a short handled 2 pound sledge to get the job done quickly.

Nothing short of a weighted plate is going to really work in sand unless you get creative with burying stuff ( I have buried 2x4's in the sand to keep my tarp in place before,),
I bought the plastic ones, I was told they were for sand and grassy fields, I broke two of them going into loose soil.

I put a flat plate on top of mine kind of like a nail head. I loop the cord under the plate. It also sits flush with the ground if I use them for my outside mat and I can hit it real hard without damaging anything.
My first ones I put a spot to connect a carabiner off the plate. Later I realized I could just loop it under the head easier.