Drivers Side Heated Seat Not Working | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Drivers Side Heated Seat Not Working

4x4 Badger

I'm reaching out for some guidance on a peculiar issue I've encountered with my latest adventure companion, a used 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, which I recently picked up with about 70K miles on the odometer. So know I have two of these trucks. It's decked out with all the bells and whistles for off-roading, including heated seats, which I was looking forward to using during chilly morning drives. However, there's been a small snag with the driver's side heated seat that's got me a bit puzzled.

A couple of weeks into owning this beast, I started noticing that the driver's side heated seat would spontaneously shut off after about 15 minutes of being on. The odd part is that it refuses to turn back on until I've completely powered down the truck and started it up again. This issue pops up randomly - some days it works perfectly fine throughout the drive, and on others, it decides to take a break. The passenger side heated seat and everything else function without a hitch.

Given that I didn't buy the truck from a Toyota dealer, I'm somewhat skeptical about their ability to fix this issue without a lot of back and forth. When I brought this up with the sales rep, he mentioned it might be a safety feature to prevent overheating, but that doesn't seem to align with what I'm experiencing. He did say I could bring it in for a check, but I'm not too keen on that idea just yet, especially considering the truck hasn't even been mine for a month.

I'm hoping to tackle this myself if possible, without having to dive deep into the bowels of the seat mechanics. Does anyone here have experience with this type of issue, or have any suggestions on troubleshooting steps I could try before resorting to professional help?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Center blue box is the heater assembly. Lower blue box is the amplifier.

There's a temp sensor in the heater that tells the amplifier if the seats too hot.

What's needed is a scan tool to read the temp.
I can see if I can find some voltages to test but right off it looks like I need a scan tool. I also need to grab the connector diagram to show what's on what.

One easy test is, when it shuts off see if the relay is still powering the light blue wire. If thats shutting off, the relay needs replacing. If its not that, now your digging in a bit.