Does your Tacoma “hunt for gears”? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Does your Tacoma “hunt for gears”?

RAMl4lyfe

I recently experienced the phenomenon of the Toyota Tacoma gear hunting the other day driving my sons truck as I was climbing a very steep incline in my dads neighbor! She was all over the place any suggestions on what I should do next time ?

On my 2019, you slide the shifter toward you and it puts it in kind of a manual mode. It defaults to 4th gear. It will shift normally by itself to 4th or you can select a lower or higher and shift manually if you want or let it do it automatically.
The only time I allow it to go into 6th is freeway cruising. Other than that I leave the max at 4th.

There's also a tune you can get that is suppose to clean up the shift points, smooth out the power band and remove most of the delay when you accelerate. I haven't gotten it yet but the guy who recommended it to me is one of the top trainers for Toyota America. The name is OV tune.

The reason I haven't gotten it is they changed the smog laws here last year (Calif) and the machine checks the computer for a tune. With that said, in reality it cant check accurately because it would have to be updated with every pcm version and update on every vehicle ever made with a computer. Until I figure out "exactly" what they check for, I'm holding off.
There's another system you hook to your accelerator pedal that removes the delay there. Its called pedal command. It doesn't fix the 6 speed hunting but cleans up the delay and makes the drivability like a well tuned engine and a throttle cable.

If you think the 6speed hunting sucks, you should drive an 8speed in the city.