Brake controller recommendations | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Brake controller recommendations

Kyle Martin

Hey all, whats a reliable brake controller that you would recommend. Something that is easy to set up and adjust on the fly please.

Thank you!

I run Tekonsha Prodigy. I have a p2 and a p3. price is average, and their small. Controllers fall into two categories. Ones with a G-Force sensor and ones without.
The G-Force sensor adds braking the harder you stop and can be mounted in almost any position. The other does something similar but not as good. You also have to mount them more flat.
Its basically two diffrent generations and the old ones are still being sold.

There's a real expensive remote unit made by Redarc that people like. It works well and all you have in your dash is a knob.
The ones I run have a few presets. I need diffrent amounts of braking based on pavement or dirt. If you tow street and dirt, its nice to not have to play with the braking. I just push a button and go.

Excellent thank you for the help on this. Sorry for late reply, I've been on the road. So p3 it is. How was the install time for you?

Not bad. The time is going to be based on what your vehicle already has equipped in the way of wiring. Worse case is you tap into the stop light switch, add a ground an ignition and battery power feed then a wire to the rear for your brakes. The battery feed and control wire should be 8-10 gauge depending on how many axles your controlling. I only have one so a 10 gauge is big enough.