Best budget friendly truck for overlanding | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Best budget friendly truck for overlanding

Larry C

I'm fresh to getting into overlanding, we have a 2wd Ford F150, which is my daily driver. We have been doing some tent camping and have gotten the bug. I want something that will become a dedicated overlanding truck where we will either get one of those expedition style trailers or tear drop. We haven't gotten that far yet. We are trying to figure out which vehicle first.

So would like to save our budget for the trailer and save on the truck. Can you make some recommendations on a decent truck, used is perfectly fine.

Alright let me give this a go as I just helped out a friend on nearly the same thing:

Toyota Tacoma: Known for its reliability, the Tacoma offers nimbleness and power in a compact package. It's a favorite in the overlanding community and supports many aftermarket upgrades. Prices average around $23,574.

Land Rover LR3 (2005-2008): This model stands out for its powerful 4.4L V8 engine and 6-speed transmission, offering great off-road capabilities at an affordable price. It averages between $7,000 - $10,000.

Isuzu Trooper (1981-2002): The Trooper is notable for its spacious interior and good ground clearance. It's an older model, so it's quite affordable, with prices ranging from $1,000 to $6,000.

Lexus GX470 (2003-2008): Combining Toyota's reliability with Lexus luxury, the GX470 is a capable off-road vehicle with a 4.7-liter V8 engine and full-time 4-wheel drive. Prices average between $7,000 and $10,000.

Jeep Cherokee XJ (1983-2001): A reliable option with a strong community following, the Cherokee XJ is known for its durable inline 6-cylinder engine and ample interior space. You can find models ranging from $3,000 to $10,000.

Each of these vehicles offers a balance of off-road capability, reliability, and affordability, making them great choices for budget-conscious overlanding enthusiasts.

Also look at the aftermarket availability.
Jeep and Toyota are the top of the list.
A good example is Dodge. Suspension wise your about out of luck. The one or two companies that make them are 4X the cost and not vey good. Jeep on the other hand has so many available they have to compete for price.

In the above list, Isuzu and rover will give you few choices. Before you buy something, sit down and say "Exactly, What do I want it to do". Figure out what you like and look up random accessories.
Last, How are your mechanical skills? If you buy a Rover, very few people can work on it and parts are difficult. Isuzu is a little better but parts can be difficult.

Oh....try not to buy anything with rust. You just raised the maintenance cost.

My advice, stay with Jeep and Toyota. Personally, I take Toyota over Jeep but Jeep has a better aftermarket.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses. In terms of budget - if I can stay under $25,000 for the truck, that would be great. I was going to say $30,000 but curious if I can get anything decent under $25,000? Regarding my mechanical skills? I'm alright, I'm no licensed mechanic, but I have a good set of tools, garage and fast learner. Does that help?

That helps.
Most people have the idea you drive it till it breaks, then repair it. The number of people I have helped get back to camp due to this, would astound you.

Things are going to break, that's life. Every part has a lifespan. You need to get ahead of the curve. You can spend $100 on trans fluid and filter or you can let it break. Now your out 3k and you had to be towed. If your on vacation with a group, they have to deal with your problem. I have lost an entire day having to tow someone to the highway, then down the highway to get cell service. Now I'm waiting near you until the tow truck shows up. As I said, things happen. I guarantee, if it is something you could have prevented, those people will not go out with you any more.

My 96 Cruiser sold new for 50k. I bought it for 6k at 150k miles. I now have a bit over 250K miles. I also have about 20k in it. The entire drive line is new as well as the weather strips and most of the interior. So essentially, I have a 50k modified SUV for under 30k that will probably out live me. Several people have given me grief because its a "million mile vehicle".

Your first step is putting as many factory pieces into it to make it dependable. You need to have a starting point for the critical pieces. If you know, the transmission has a 200k lifespan and you replace it at 200k (before it breaks) you know you will get another 200k out of it. This is called "Base lining". I mentioned factory parts. Most aftermarket parts have a shorter lifespan. Your "100K" part may only live 10K if its from Auto Zone.

100k items beside belts and hoses are CV axles, water pump, possibly radiator, thermostat. If its leaking, seal it. Ball joints and tie rods should be checked. Off road pulls about 50% of the life off these things.

If the vehicle has 100K on it and the seller says "I never had to put money into it" be afraid. Most of the vehicle is past its life span. You just bought a money pit. You want a lifetime of receipts.

I have dozens of stories about field repairing broken vehicles. Most had the same thing in common. High mileage and no preventative maintenance.

There are some good deals to be found for Toyota Tacomas. Don't be shy if you see something with 100k+ miles, if the owner kept oil in it, it's barely broken in.

Jeeps or Toyota, you can't go wrong. What you need to do is take your time and buy private party