100% wind proof 180 awning? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

100% wind proof 180 awning?

Jeep4Life

Is there an 180 awning that is legitimately wind proof? It's hard to decipher from the marketing rhetoric companies use. I just had my Rhinorack Batwing get torn to hell from not even what I would call heavy winds. Well technically the joints on this broke. Technically this is the 3rd time these things snapped. I'm over this and going to change this out.

Most of my camping is desert camping. That means half the time there's wind. All of my friends have batwing awnings. There is no way any of us would pull them out without the legs and tying them down. The exception would be a quick, no wind lunch.

When these first came out, I saw the claims. Over the years, I have inspected most of the brands. I have never seen one I would trust for even a light wind, freestanding.
Most of my group has the OVS awnings in 180 and 270.

Are you including the OVS awnings your friends have as something that CAN be used in wind?

BTW thank you for the comments!

No
I have never seen one I would say can handle anything more than a breeze without being secured.

Darche are cool, and stronger than many, but a good gust of wind will still create problems for that.

Just make sure whatever you use is tied down very good with stakes, that is your best defense from wind.

Agree. How you have your awning tied down will determine how long that will last in hevier winds. That said, when winds do pick up, store your awning away.