Your tow line snaps when helping someone - should they replace it? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Your tow line snaps when helping someone - should they replace it?

Vance Hogg

Let me get your opinion on something that just happened. If you are offroad and come across someone who is stuck and has no means of getting out of the spot they are in and asks you for help. So you help them and in the process your tow strap snaps, however you manage to get them out. Should they replace your strap?

I primarily use a strap and a kinetic strap. I've broken a number of them over the years and seen a few more broken by others. In my experience there's two reasons for breaking a strap. Mine broke from age and wear and the others I've seen from lack of knowledge/misuse.

If my strap broke, it was because it was old and heavily used. This is my fault. In my youth, I broke tow straps trying to use them as kinetic straps. This was also my fault.
I couldn't ask for a replacement.
If the circumstance is where you must misuse something because its your only way, a heads up to the stuck guy is in order.

I have knotted broken straps back together. I carried one of those for a while. I was too cheap to replace it.

Oh boy, slippery slope on this one, personally I wouldn't have had said anything, but it would have been appreciated if they at least offered to pony up some $$.

You need to get Rhino USA tow straps, mine have been through hell and while they don't look pretty, they are strong as new