Would you consider this campsite reserved? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Would you consider this campsite reserved?

Sid Clayton

We have a number of free campsites around here that are first come first serve. Last weekend we set up camp in one and the fire had hot coals in it. That's it. There was no tent, chairs, tables, nothing. Just the fire dying out. So we set up camp.

Roughly 2 hours later a truck and old beat up van pull up saying we stole their camp site, that they were there first. "That was our fire", which I asked them, or told them that was careless to leave a fire still going (even though it was mostly hot coals). We kept the spot, but that wasn't without nearly 30 minutes of back and forth.

You won't hurt my feelings if you say we were wrong, but I would really like anothers opinion on this. If you came up to a campsite like this, would you have thought this was open for the taking?

That's a hard call. You pretty much know if they had that spot, they would have left something. I've had people try to chase m out of "their" spot for various reasons.

My response is always the same, "sorry, but you should have left some indication".

IMO - that spot was fair game. With spots being free and first come first serve, how are you to know the campers didn't just leave? If they wanted the spot they should have left something in place that leaves room for 'this spot is taken'.

I would have told them to find another spot. If they wanted that spot, they should have left something more substantial behind or even a "Reserved" or "We will be Right Back" note left behind.

I wouldn't think twice about it. If a spot doesn't have personal property on the premises, I wouldn't worry about it. If they place had a reserve system in place, they would have been covered, but first come first have, it's fair game. Leaving the fire going was just irresponsible on their end.

That's a hard call. You pretty much know if they had that spot, they would have left something. I've had people try to chase m out of "their" spot for various reasons.

My response is always the same, "sorry, but you should have left some indication".

Exactly!