Will you cook on public BBQ pits?? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Will you cook on public BBQ pits??

GrubWorm

We meet some friends at a park over the weekend and a buddy had started cooking on the BBQ at the site. You know the ones that are left out and everyone and their brother uses and abuses. IMO, this is why I always have a grill with me. I've always thought these things were nasty. My buddy was like "the fire will burn off anything harmful".

Perhaps I'm wrong, but is that the case that anything bad will be burned off? Come to think of it, he didn't even use a wired brush, he just heated the coals up and slapped the burgers on it.

I've never worried about it. Some crunched up aluminum foil cleans well and it can be used to line. For the most part, the heat destroys bacteria. On the other hand, I don't go to public beach's or the big urban parks anymore. I guess in my area, if someone was going to purposely put something bad on the grill, that's where it would be.

Heck no! Not directly on one at least. We have as others have mentioned used when in a pinch, but only with foil on top.

Yeah, something about cooking on a rusty grill that hasn't been professionally cleaned since the second war doesn't really sound inviting.

(chuckle)

No. If you saw the public grills around here you would understand my chuckle and the 'No' response. I would rather pack up and go get takeout from someplace.

We have, but we always put foil down on the grill first. What's funny is I recall back in college days, we always cooked on these things!

Yeah, there is no way I'm putting my $30 steak on a public grill. If I want a spot to have a fire for the kids to roast marshmallows, sure, but no food will touch the metal grill.

Anyone that said yes, are brave peeps. There was an article that was published some time ago that pointed out all the nasty stuff that is on public grills. Bring your own grill.

Have you ever seen racoons (trash pandas) sitting and licking those? I have, and it even seemed to drop something from it's back side. No thank you.