Where are you storing your air compressor? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Where are you storing your air compressor?

Camping USA

We just got back from a quick wheeling run yesterday, nothing major just a quick overnight. Can you take a guess what I left in my garage? Yep, my air compressor! We of course had air'd down. And I didn't notice I didn't bring it till everyone was airing back up. Not the end of the world as I just used someone else's air. But not I want to prevent this from happening again. Usually when I get home, I pull everything out of my truck and place in garage. I think important stuff, I need to figure out how to store permanently in my truck. Really it's just the air compressor at this point. I'm just trying to figure out where I can store this and looking for ideas.

Where are you keeping your air compressor?

In my older Jeeps it was an engine driven compressor. When I switched to a Viair 400, it fit in a 50 cal ammo can with wiring and hose. This made it easy to tie down and move to diffrent vehicles. It always stayed in the back of my last Jeep. My Cruiser got one mounted inside the pass rear quarter panel with the hose run to both sides of the rear bumper. My Tacoma will get one mounted in the engine compartment. Most of my friends mount in engine compartment. One exception is one who mounted his ARB under his passenger seat, in his JK.

I added in an air compressor and drove off of a belt. Air brakes on heavy duty vehicles do this.
What I used was an old school York AC compressor, modified it and bolted it on. At the time no one made a kit to install it but it bolted in pretty easily. Now you can buy kits for them. Google York on board air and you will see what's available.
The only reason I run an electric compressor now is I cant fit a belt driven one.

makita-luftkompressor-akku-ladegeraet-xxl.jpg

I did sold my ViAir 440 after 120`000 Overlanding Kilometers because of it`s size and bulkiness.. Too I did hate, to have this extended battery cable. Did hate to have my car nearby, when I did use the compressor for helping others, or to get air for a bike tyre.

I did bought a 1kg lightweight and cordless Compressor 11.1 Bar 18 V. The battery is strong, no need to carry the charger (who is available as 12v too) with you for a weekend.

trippin

Last edited: