What size water tank did you go with in Offroad trailer? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

What size water tank did you go with in Offroad trailer?

Foreman

My wife and I are looking at a couple trailer options and trying to figure which one we will go with. We have noticed that some have much more water capacity than others. In some cases, it's nearly double difference. Example one has 20 gallon tank and then another has something like 42. Are you using that much water on a weekend trip? Don't even know how these shower systems work in terms of efficiency? Also should a tank have a baffle to prevent sloshing around?

My last trailer had 15 and my newer one has 10. I should have done a bit bigger on this one. Running by myself, 15 is good for me for several days.. Showers for me are, rinse, shut off water, soap, turn on, rinse, done. I get about 4 quick showers on 10 gallons. If I just rinse the dust off, more. I also run a 1.5 GPM pump. Higher flow pumps will run out quicker.
As for slosh, I would be more concerned about weight on a 40 gallon. Unless your running difficult trail's, you wont notice either. Depending on how many people your talking about, 20 gallon would probably be fine.
On my old camper I had a 40 gallon tank. Family of three, it was good for close to 2 week's. If I had an issue, I could add to it with my water cans.

EDIT: You didnt mention if it was indoor shower or your using an outdoor shower tent. Mine are outdoor. Those tend to be lower output.

Morning. Thank you for the answer. This will be an outdoor shower. We have 2 kids with us, I'm wondering if I should go with a 20 gallon and have a couple spare water containers we bring. I guess we'll see who 'quick' we can take a shower. My wife takes a 15 minute shower every day, so I think this will be toughest for her. :ROFLMAO:

Years ago, one of my friends rented a motor home. Their life had been tent camping so this was a new treat. One shower and washing dish's, they went through 100 gallons of water. They thought they forgot to fill up before they left. I looked at the grey water and saw the tank was full. The wife couldn't understand why it was bad to leave the water running doing dish's or take a quick shower. After all, 100 gallons of water should last forever.

Oh dang! 100 gallons is a lot of water. I bet they changed how they used water moving forward :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

100 gallons?! :LOL:OMG from one shower and dishes? That is comedy!!! Now we know where the water is disappearing from Lake Meade and Colorado River!