True watertight battery box? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

True watertight battery box?

Frank Sullivan

I'm after a 100% waterproof and ideally impact resistant battery box that I can mount under my trailer. I drive through water from time to time, so the box needs to be watertight and have the ability to seal up port where wires are feeding out to trailer (possible?). Also something that can take a hit from time to time as well.

Was looking at Pelican cases, but not made for this and not as impact resistant as I would want. Can you help me out please?

What battery?
AGM and regular lead acid produce hydrogen as a byproduct. You need a vent if your using those. Lithium should be fine. Your better AGM's are not as bad as LA and cheaper AGM's. It has to do with the way the battery vents. They still need to be vented.

Damn it. Hit post before I was done. How about the case being mounted just behind your axle, under the floor. If you have a solid axle, that will protect it. Independent not so much. the tires will raise the trailer as you pass things making this the highest point.
If your rock crawling, I would have it over the frame somewhere. If that's not practical, build a box with a skid and set it up behind your axle. I wouldn't worry about weather proofing as much as armoring.

Why even put it so low? Don't you have the room on the nose of your trailer? Keep above water levels and have one less thing to worry about.