Skinny VS Wide tire debate. | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Skinny VS Wide tire debate.

TravelOzarks

There is a big debate on the internet questioning whether it is better to run a wide tire or a narrow tire. The narrow tire supposedly digs into the ground and finds more grip whereas the wide tire has a larger contact patch, therefore also leads to more grip.

What are your thoughts on this? I would be curious if anyone here has had experience with both situations

It depends one the truck. For example, old land rovers fair much better with a thin tire. The while vehicle is build around a thin tire. A thick tire is heavier, makes them slow, and things start to break. You also burn a lot of fuel.

Other cars like an 80 series land cruiser or a new Jeep Wrangler fair well with a thick tire.

The debate is true though. I do find that the thin tire on my Defender grips great in mud and even snow, some times even better that other trucks with thicker rubber

I do agree with the above comment, it kind of depends on the truck. Old land rovers are better with skinny tires. Big American trucks, land cruisers and anything similar fairs better with a larger tire.