Rubber vs Metal valve stems | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Rubber vs Metal valve stems

Mike Clark

I am in the process of gearing up my rig for the upcoming offroad adventures, and have come to a crossroads concerning valve stems. The two contenders, as many of you might know, are rubber and metal valve stems. I am reaching out to get your seasoned opinions and real-world experiences regarding these options.

1. Durability in Rough Terrains: How do metal valve stems compare to rubber ones when tackling rocky or uneven terrains?
  2. Ease of Installation: Is one easier to install than the other, especially when out in the wild? Any special tools required?
  3. Maintenance on the Trail: Are there any maintenance considerations to keep in mind for either type during long overlanding expeditions?
  4. Performance in Extreme Conditions: Does one material outperform the other under varying temperatures and rough driving conditions?
  5. Cost vs Value: While I've heard metal valve stems might be on the pricier side, do they offer a better value in terms of durability and ease of repair on the trail?
Your insights and any additional tips on preparing the valve stems for offroad challenges would be immensely valuable. Looking forward to your thoughts and safe travels on the trails!

Don't have a rock or any kind of hard debris touch your metal valve stem. They break off. I've seen my share of this. Rubber valve stems bend away. If you saw all the scrape marks on my valve stems you would see why I don't run metal, Rubber will flex, metal will bend or break. You have a better chance of having the stem survive if it can bend,

If you want durability, run short rubber ones. Your suppose to replace all valve stems when you replace tires. few people do and that's why they have issues. If someone else does your tires, give them the valve stems you want. Most shops buy long rubber stems.

"If" you tear a valve stem on the trail, odd's are if its metal, your dismounting the tire unless you got lucky and it sheared at the rim. I have never seen one sheer at the rim. Rubber you just cut it at the rim and pop it in. This is why you keep kolby stems in your tool kit. These mount without removing tire. I've used them a couple of time's and they rock. Ive met people who run these as their primary valve stem.

1. Short rubber stems.
2. Kolby stems as back up
3. If you run beadlocks (fake or real) look where the valve stem is located. If the rim was built correctly, the bead ring will protect the valve. Then it wont matter what you run.

Normally metal stems are for high pressure tires. Over 80 psi.

Rubber on mine. Honestly never thought about putting metal ones. Seems like a flat tire itching to happen if you rock climb with your rig.