Rodents living in your Sprinter van during storage? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Rodents living in your Sprinter van during storage?

Fly Guy

Hello,

My first post here and I could use some advice. We have two conversion vans, one is a 2011 and other is a 2023. Since we picked up the new one last year, the 2011 doesn't get out as much. However I don't want to sell it, and found some droppings inside the van over the weekend and found what looked like a start to a nest under the hood.

What is the best way to to keep rodents and such out of your parked rigs? I fly for the airlines and often gone for 2-3 weeks at a time. So this applies to both of my rigs.

Thank you,

Dan

Hey there, welcome to the community!

Dealing with rodents can be a bit tricky, especially when you're away for 2-3 weeks at a time flying for the airlines (which sounds like a cool job, by the way!). Rodents are attracted to parked vehicles because they're looking for a cozy, undisturbed spot to nest. Here are a few tips that could help:

1. Clean and Seal: Make sure both vans are clean and free of food scraps or crumbs that might attract rodents. Seal up any small entry points where rodents could sneak in.
  2. Use Repellents: There are various rodent repellents available. Some people swear by natural options like peppermint oil, while others prefer ultrasonic devices. You could place these around your vans.
  3. Rodent Deterrent Tape: This is a special kind of tape that's infused with super-spicy capsaicin. It's used in places where rodents might try to chew their way in.
  4. Mothballs: Some people find that placing mothballs under the hood and inside the van can deter rodents, though this can leave a strong odor.
  5. Frequent Checks: Since you're gone for weeks, it might be worth asking a friend or a neighbor to check on the vans periodically.
  6. Parking Strategy: If possible, try parking on a solid, clean surface rather than grass or dirt. Also, moving the vehicles occasionally can help.

There was a guy on another board I use to belong too who took his airbox apart and removed his filter during storage and didn't put back, who went traveling to Brazil for 3 months. He came back and mice had built a nest in where the filter belongs.