Pre 1990 truck for overlanding rig? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Pre 1990 truck for overlanding rig?

DaveInFresno

Our son is turning 16 next month and we are going to surprise him with a truck that hey can tinker around with, yet can get offroad to join us on our adventures. Which are the best most durable PRE 1990 trucks/SUVs to consider?

I'm partial to Toyota.
Over the years, I've built quite a few diffrent off road vehicles and can point out the flaws in all most every vehicle made. There's a reason Toyota and Jeep have the best aftermarket support out of all the others. Just because someone was able to "drive" a vehicle 500k miles doesn't make it a good choice.
When it comes to Jeep though, the support is there only due to the popularity, not dependability. The only reason I built several Jeeps was, I liked the size. Most of the money I put in to those was due to the poor engineering Jeep did.
As for everything else out there, in the last few years, support for the other brands has grown but this is due to the number of people trending toward off road. This support is also mostly just accessories.

Getting him an older vehicle to learn on is probably one of the best things you can do. The simplicity isn't there once you start getting into the upper 90's. Something to consider though is the factory part availability. On the older Toyotas, I would try to stay away from the first gen V-6. Stick with the 4cyl and no matter what it is, No carburetors on anything you choose and no carb to fuel injection conversions. The 22r Toyota motor is the best overall 4cyl ever built. Stay away from any kind of motor swap, no matter how cool it seems.

Before you buy, do the research on parts. Can you get motor parts and electronics. Engine computers, sensors, interior controls... Power windows are nice but can you get switch's when they wear out. Ac/heater controls are going to be non existent. Instrument clusters will be the same. The odometer on my 96 doesn't work (I don't care) and the "speedo repair" industry is pretty much gone.

Keep it simple, he will like whatever you get.

100% if you can find a decent Toyota that isn't covered in rust, go with one of those. Actually I think the 1980's era of Toyota pickups are one of the best looking trucks still.

Agree, if you are going pre-1990, you need to consider Toyota pickup. Considering mileage for trucks that old now, this will be your best bet.

I tell you what, I had a 1991 Ford Ranger back in the day, and while that truck was only 2wd, it keep on going! When I sold that truck, it had 380,000 miles on the motor! Burned just a quart of oil ever 2 months or so. Such a good truck with little problems. Don't discount domestic.