Let's talk about tools you carry in your rig when overlanding? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Let's talk about tools you carry in your rig when overlanding?

GunRunner

I'm on Amazon looking at different tool bags and trying to find something that will work for me. Funny thing is, in my home garage, I have a huge tool bin full of Craftsman tools. However in my rig, I don't have much of anything. Now I don't plan on removing tools from my home garage as my OSD will flip out. But I would like to figure out a comprehensive kit. Which power tools are you bringing with you (if any) and what's in your tool bag?

Complete metric wrench set, 3/8 metric socket set (long and short) with a handful of 1/2 drive sockets thrown in, a few pair of small vicegrip, plier assortment, screwdriver assortment, a few short gear wrench's, misc electrical repair stuff and my volt meter has a temp probe. 1.5 pound sledge with a short metal handle. A few specialty suspension tools. Most importantly is an 8 inch pipe wrench. I'm sure I forgot a few.
Colby valve stems, a few tubes of aluma seal, a tube of block/head sealant, tire plug kit.

If you have custom rims make sure you can take off the lug nuts. I have what's called a flip socket. The picture is so you have an idea. Mine are snap on. You need a 3" extension for the middle. Thin wall impact rated. Most aftermarket rims, the opening where the lug nut goes through is smaller than stock. Tire wrench wont fit.
I know I have more then that but there's the bulk of it.
When I do my maintenance, I use my trucks tool kit only, including the jack. You find out quickly what your missing. I also carry a small bolt collection. Make sure your tools go as big as the biggest thing you may need to remove. This is what my 1/2 sockets are for.

I have standard stuff, complete set of metric and standard open end wrenches, sockets, variety of screw drivers, hammers. 3/8" impact wrench (cordless), a pry bar, small can of WD40

Socket set that includes both standard and metric, basic stuff like screwdrivers, vice grips and hammer. There is some loctite in there as well.

Complete metric wrench set, 3/8 metric socket set (long and short) with a handful of 1/2 drive sockets thrown in, a few pair of small vicegrip, plier assortment, screwdriver assortment, a few short gear wrench's, misc electrical repair stuff and my volt meter has a temp probe. 1.5 pound sledge with a short metal handle. A few specialty suspension tools. Most importantly is an 8 inch pipe wrench. I'm sure I forgot a few.
Colby valve stems, a few tubes of aluma seal, a tube of block/head sealant, tire plug kit.

If you have custom rims make sure you can take off the lug nuts. I have what's called a flip socket. The picture is so you have an idea. Mine are snap on. You need a 3" extension for the middle. Thin wall impact rated. Most aftermarket rims, the opening where the lug nut goes through is smaller than stock. Tire wrench wont fit.
I know I have more then that but there's the bulk of it.
When I do my maintenance, I use my trucks tool kit only, including the jack. You find out quickly what your missing. I also carry a small bolt collection. Make sure your tools go as big as the biggest thing you may need to remove. This is what my 1/2 sockets are for.

Thank you for all the details, one question for you. That 'flip socket', how does that work? I don't see how you are able to attach a socket to it? Amazon only shows one photo and that doesn't show you much of anything.

Thank you all, very helpful. You mind me asking what are you using for tool bag in your overlanding rig?

Organization is key, mine are in two medium size bags separated by basic hand tools like screw drivers, hammer, etc. and mechanical tools like wrenches, sockets and such.

Thank you for all the details, one question for you. That 'flip socket', how does that work? I don't see how you are able to attach a socket to it? Amazon only shows one photo and that doesn't show you much of anything.

Didn't see this
Its a two ended deep socket. Example is one end is 19mm the other 21mm. You need a 3" extension. It connects in the center, through the side your not using. They are designed for lug nuts and come in all the common sizes. Their also thin wall and impact rated.

I was on one of my trips and came upon a group pulled over changing a tire. The rim was aftermarket and the stock lug wrench was too thick. They had already broken a 3/8 thin wall and only got one of the five lugs loose.
A non working jack, a jack that is no longer tall enough with bigger tires or a lug wrench that doesn't fit. What's worse is that new designed "thing" that you cant figure out how to use when you need it.

Its things like this is where I say, you should do all of your maintenance using your vehicles tools.

Small bag of 6 screwdrivers (3 of each), craftsman socket set and two hammers, and I have wire cutters, needle nose, and a few various wrenches.

I have a medium size bag that I have no clue where I got it, full of a bunch of random tools in there