How to remove mold smell from tent | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How to remove mold smell from tent

Frost Bite Jack

I'm curious, my tent that was put away 7 months ago must have had some moisture in it and smells horrible. There must be some mold happening with this and I'm wondering how can this smell be removed?

To eliminate mold smells from a tent, follow these steps:

1. Ventilation: Set up the tent outdoors in a well-ventilated area, ideally with a breeze. Open all doors and windows to allow fresh air to circulate through the tent.
  2. Sunlight: If possible, expose the tent to direct sunlight. UV rays can help kill mold spores and eliminate odors. Leave the tent out in the sun for several hours, rotating it periodically to ensure all areas are exposed.
  3. Cleaning Solution: Mix a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Vinegar is effective at killing mold and neutralizing odors. Spray the solution onto any affected areas of the tent, focusing on spots with visible mold or strong odors.
  4. Scrubbing: Use a soft-bristled brush or sponge to gently scrub the affected areas with the vinegar solution. Be careful not to scrub too hard, as this can damage the tent fabric.
  5. Rinsing: After scrubbing, rinse the tent thoroughly with clean water to remove any remaining vinegar solution and loosened mold spores.
  6. Drying: Allow the tent to air dry completely in the sunlight. Ensure all moisture is gone before packing the tent away to prevent mold growth in the future.
  7. Preventive Measures: To prevent mold from returning, always ensure the tent is completely dry before storing it. Store the tent in a cool, dry place with good air circulation. Consider using moisture-absorbing products or silica gel packs inside the storage bag to reduce humidity.