How often bump stops need to be replaced? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How often bump stops need to be replaced?

George C Lone

My '21 4D ride quality has been in the toilet last few months. I just ordered Teraflex 3.3 Falcon shocks tonight and was thinking if I should replace the bump stops in this thing. Not sure if this is something that needs to be replaced at a certain interval?

Ah, the life expectancy of bump stops on our beloved Wranglers. The age-old question right after "Why do Jeeps wave?" and "How many LED bars can I fit on my Jeep before I'm mistaken for a UFO?" 😂

Jokes aside, bump stops are like that sturdy old pair of sneakers; they'll last a while, but it really depends on how often you're dancing in the mud or jumping over rocky terrains (you know, the Jeep equivalent of running marathons).

1. Material Matters: Some bump stops are made of rubber (kinda like that chew toy your dog annihilated in two minutes), while others are made of polyurethane (like that other toy that's lasted two years). Generally, polyurethane has a bit more stamina in the long run.
  2. Are You Rocking Out or Just Cruising?: If your Wrangler spends more time climbing rocks and forging rivers than in the mall's parking lot, your bump stops will feel the burn a bit faster.
  3. To Bump or Not to Bump: If you're giving those bump stops a workout every weekend by fully compressing your suspension, they'll probably want a retirement party sooner.
  4. Quality Over Quantity: If you shelled out for those premium bump stops, they'd likely stick around for the long haul. But if you went with the bargain bin option... well, you get what you pay for.
  5. Lifted Spirits (and Suspensions): If your Jeep's riding high with a lifted suspension, those bump stops might be getting more action than if it were stock.
Given your 2021 Jeep Wrangler's penchant for adventure (I'm assuming here, but it's a Wrangler, so come on!), I'd give those bump stops a peek every now and then. If they're looking more worn out than my old hiking boots or have started doing impressions of pancakes, it might be time for a swap.

Happy Jeeping and may your trails be ever muddy and your bump stops ever bouncy

I'm running timbren on mine, Jeep bump stops are as you may already know horrible. If you have any bit of weight in your truck or towing a trailer, you'll appreciate a good set of bump stops.

If you bash them, look for cracking or disforming. If they crack from age, replace with stock if you want. If they crack or disform from heavy usage, upgrade. If you lift your vehicle make sure you space your bumps so you dont bottom out your shocks. Same goes for using your shocks to limit travel. In that case, limit straps are needed.
I have seen quite a few shocks ruined due to not setting both ends of travel correctly.
Timbren stops are a good upgrade.

If you have a small trailer heres another idea. The rear of my Cruiser, I use Poly Airbags. They don't limit my travel more then I like when their low pressure and they increase my spring rate when I pull my trailer. I have also abused the crap out of them without issue.

Before I jumped ship over to Toyota, I had a number of Jeeps and I loved these trucks, but damn, the suspensions on mine always gave out. Shocks especially had the worst luck with.

I have a good friend who did that, he lifted his truck and never didn't anything with his bump stops, that didn't age well for him. It was intentional, but just something that happened.

Timbren on mine and considered the best option on the market. I love mine! Need I say super easy to install. Actually the only PITA was removing my old ones.