How much power does Starlink use up? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How much power does Starlink use up?

Starlink has a motor in side that is constantly keeping lined up with satellites. That is why it's always pulling juice.

I am definitely going to get one - when I start using my RV more. I think it would be a great option, especially if Elon can figure out a way to make it 12v compatible. I mean that seems like a no brainer.

I am definitely going to get one - when I start using my RV more. I think it would be a great option, especially if Elon can figure out a way to make it 12v compatible. I mean that seems like a no brainer.

When they started charging people the $25 extra per month for RV, this should have triggered some sort of DC version, hope to see one soon.

Unfortunately, this is a sad point for overlanders, since even an external battery box such as an Ecoflow River Pro with 720wh with a calculated efficiency via 220v of an estimated 85% is empty at some point.

Formula: 720 Wh * 0.85 efficiency / 60 watts = 10.2 hours of runtime

DH - you need an appropriately dimensioned solar output and the right weather or regular driving.

Those "real live" tests did show us unfortunately that the starlink setup need more juice:

--> The starlink wifi router takes 10-15 Watt. The small starlink satellie antenna will use 50-75 Watt.

trippin

Unfortunately, this is a sad point for overlanders, since even an external battery box such as an Ecoflow River Pro with 720wh with a calculated efficiency via 220v of an estimated 85% is empty at some point.

Formula: 720 Wh * 0.85 efficiency / 60 watts = 10.2 hours of runtime

DH - you need an appropriately dimensioned solar output and the right weather or regular driving.

Those "real live" tests did show us unfortunately that the starlink setup need more juice:

--> The starlink wifi router takes 10-15 Watt. The small starlink satellie antenna will use 50-75 Watt.

trippin
What if you have a 200 watts of Solar panels on your rig by day, can you manage to keep the internet up for say - 3 hours a day with proper storage (battery) and use a small generator by night if needed (for a few hours?) 5 hours of internet a day - if used efficiently, could be enough to knock out a ton of work, depending on what the actual bandwidth of the starlink connection ends up being. I have no idea (not used one) what the real world experience of the connection is like.

I don't think you'd be able to run a fast paced business using it, but maybe you can get some kind of work done - enough to justify buying it, and maintaining the fairly expensive monthly fee. (would assume your lifestyle choice is to do a fair bit of RVing and overlanding during the year)

What if you have a 200 watts of Solar panels on your rig by day, can you manage to keep the internet up for say - 3 hours a day with proper storage (battery) and use a small generator by night if needed (for a few hours?)

With 200W Solar & a external Solar-Battery like the ecoflow you can run starlink fulltime on sunny weather, as long you arent too far south/north latitude

I did try to calculate the costs of running starlink at home. Above 200bucks / year for wallplug energy in the center of europe. Probably a misscalculation? How it is in your country?

South Africa: rapidtables.com/calc/electric/electricity-calculator.html 118$ ( 0.148 U.S. Dollar per kWh)
Australia: rapidtables.com/calc/electric/electricity-calculator.html 165$ (0.213 U.S. Dollar per kWh)
USA: rapidtables.com/calc/electric/electricity-calculator.html 118$ ( $0.15/kWh)
Switzerland: rechnerli.ch/stromrechner/ = 197 CHF
Germany: stromverbrauchinfo.de = 260 Euro

Pretty high values...

Last edited:
There is also a good Facebook page for Starlink hacks as well. Can’t wait to see something come from Starlink with 12V ready

Still floored that Starlink doesn’t come with ability to run on DC from factory. Users shouldn’t need to Frankenstein their Starlink in order to make this work on DC.