How can portable power take 12V and 24V for solar input? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How can portable power take 12V and 24V for solar input?

Jeep4Life

Researching new portable power has me consumed this evening. Now help me understand this, does a portable batter run on 12V? So one of the battery stations I'm looking at says you can charge it either with 100W, which would be 12V or you can double the power input to 200W which would be 24V. Now we are talking about solar. How is 12V solar different from 24V?

Now help me understand this, does a portable batter run on 12V?
I haven't seen a 24volt power pack but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

So one of the battery stations I'm looking at says you can charge it either with 100W, which would be 12V or you can double the power input to 200W which would be 24V. Now we are talking about solar. How is 12V solar different from 24V?

There's something that's getting left out there.
The basic math is watts = volts X amps. Amps is watts divided by volts. Higher voltage will run less amps, lower will run higher.
Take two 120 watt panels.
A 12volt, 120 watt panel (on paper) will produce 10 amps. 120w divided by 12v = 10a
A 24 volt, 120 watt panel will produce 5 amp. 120w divided by 24v = 5a

24 volts will have lower amps then the same in a 12 volt. The higher the amps the bigger the wire needs to be.
The difference is how much "loss" you have in the wiring. More amps = more loss unless you go bigger on the wire
Bottom line is, double the voltage does not mean double the power. In reality it means less loss if you have long cables between the panels and the battery.

My portable panels are set up as 24 volt because I run 50ft of cable. My charge controller is good for 100 volts.
For the average person, 12volt is fine.

Last edited: