Goal Zero YETI3000X | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Goal Zero YETI3000X

Time Keeper

These guys have a summer sale going on right now and the price on this thing is chopped a bit and has me thinking: https://www.goalzero.com/collection...s/goal-zero-yeti-3000x-portable-power-station

But I have questions first:

1. I've seen reviews (not many) where owners talk about battery degradation with Goal Zero, stating that the battery after X period of time wouldn't hold a complete charge or would deplete quicker than new. Both cases, not a good thought to have in the back of my mind.

2. I'll be charging this thing in the field via solar. So when I read on their site "Recharge from the sun by connecting a compatible solar panel. Charge times are dependent on the size of the solar panel. The Boulder 200 Briefcase will provide 200W of solar and fully recharge the Yeti 3000X in 18-36 hours of sun." Is it safe to assume if you double or triple solar input that would cut charge times down to ~9 or even as low as ~4.5 hours in perfect solar conditions? Is there a limit to how much solar you can plug into this thing?

I think that's a question for Goal Zero.
I can give you what I know about charging Lithium's.

How much power you can put into a lithium is based on, which battery they use and how much the controller will flow.
The math comes out to 250amp in the battery. That means the charge controller is only letting about 1.5 amps (ish) into the pack. I get that from the 18-36 hour charge rate.
Adding more panels may not make any difference if that's what the controller is rated for..
I would defiantly ask them.

I have a battery pack that I'm working on at home. The battery's are 38120's. They have a charge rate of 100 amps. My controllers will only allow 10 amps to charge 4 batteries. If I put a huge panel array putting out 50 amps, I would only be able to put in 10amp at a time.

Based on your link I found another spec.
With 600 watts of charging, the charge time is now 6-12 hours.

Cut from their site.

BEST SOLAR CHARGE​

6-12 Hours Charge

Recharges 80-100% of Yeti Battery in each day of full sun. (3) NOMAD 200 SOLAR PANEL BUNDLE.

Below that
  • 100W Rated Panels (Boulder 100 BC/Nomad 100): 36-72 Hours of sunlight
  • 200W Rated Panels (Boulder 200 BC/Nomad 200): 18-36 Hours of sunlight
  • 400W Rated Panels (2x Boulder BC/Nomad 200): 9-18 Hours of sunlight
  • 600W Rated Panels (2x Ranger 300/ 3x Boulder/Nomad 200): 6-12 Hours of sunlight
  • 800W* Rated Panels (4x Nomad 200/etc.): 6-9 Hours of sunlight
  • 1200W* Rated Panels (4x Ranger 300/etc.): 6 Hours of sunlight

There ya go

probably.
The issue with reading posted "anything" when it comes to solar is most of the time its the optimum numbers. As long as your always pointed into the sun, during the correct time of year, in the Antarctic, you will never achieve those numbers.

The question is, did they post real numbers or the "lab" numbers?
Because the post a range, I'm hoping the numbers are more real. The only way to know is own one and test it.

That's a heavy battery how do you plan on taking out in the field?but
I was thinking the same thing. These sort of batteries are bad ass but damn they are heavy! But that said, I do like the brand, they make some good stuff.