Do you think Overlanding Requires You to Go Off Pavement? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Do you think Overlanding Requires You to Go Off Pavement?

Nate & Liz

Nate (husband) and I are having a little discussion this morning about our vehicle and overlanding plans in general. We have seemed to snag on our discussion and can't agree on something. So, I'm going to ask this question here and let you shed some light: Do you think Overlanding Requires You to Go Off Pavement?

Uhh.
If you look at the original meaning of overland, the answer is yes.
If you look at the new "inclusive" definition then no.
This is a question that has sparked huge arguments on forums.

If you would have asked me this question in the 70's or 80's I would have answered yes, because overlanding was done in Australia, Africa,.... Basically back country exploring for long distance. Out here it was just called off-roading. If you went off-roading for a few days, you were still off-roading but you were also camping.

Off-roading also had, Mudding, Dune's, Rock crawling, Trails. Then their was exploring which also was called off-roading.

Should driving a motorhome on pavement to a KOA campground be considered overlanding? What if you did it in a Civic? Some people will answer yes to both. Would it be overlanding if either of the two traveled down graded dirt roads? More people will say yes to that today.

I think its just whatever you want it to be.

Yes. For me while that word tends to be loosely thrown around these days, means you explore offroad, nature, and camp where this is no pavement. On pavement is RV'ing (I know not all are RV's.)