Camping Fireman Chili: | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Camping Fireman Chili:

MattR50

This isn't my recipe, a buddy sent this too me today and thought I would share this with others here, you know this will be a toasty in the belly during winter months:​

Ingredients:​

• Meat: 1-2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
  • Beans: 2 cans (15 oz each) of mixed beans (like a chili bean mix), undrained
  • 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 packet of chili seasoning mix (available at most grocery stores)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional toppings: shredded cheese, pre-chopped green onions, etc.

Instructions:​

1. Preparation: Before you head out camping, you can chop the onion and bell pepper and store them in a zip-top bag or airtight container in your cooler. This minimizes the prep time at the campsite.
  2. Cook the Meat: Place a pot or large pan on your campfire grate or camping stove. Once it's heated, add the ground meat and cook until browned, breaking it up as you go.
  3. Add Veggies: Add the chopped onion and bell pepper to the meat. Cook until they're softened, about 5 minutes.
  4. Seasoning and Canned Goods: Pour in the diced tomatoes (with their juice) and add the beans (also undrained). Sprinkle in the chili seasoning mix and stir everything to combine.
  5. Simmer: Allow the chili to come to a simmer. Let it cook for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you're cooking on an open fire, you might want to use a cast iron pot or pan, as it distributes the heat more evenly and is durable for campfire cooking.
  6. Serve: Once done, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, and top with any desired toppings.
For camping, using pre-mixed seasonings and minimizing the number of ingredients can make the process much smoother. Remember to pack all the essentials, including a can opener and cooking utensils!

So the trick is to partially meal prep this ahead of time so you just need to mix ingredients over heat when out camping.

This isn't my recipe, a buddy sent this too me today and thought I would share this with others here, you know this will be a toasty in the belly during winter months:​

Ingredients:​

• Meat: 1-2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
  • Beans: 2 cans (15 oz each) of mixed beans (like a chili bean mix), undrained
  • 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 packet of chili seasoning mix (available at most grocery stores)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional toppings: shredded cheese, pre-chopped green onions, etc.

Instructions:​

1. Preparation: Before you head out camping, you can chop the onion and bell pepper and store them in a zip-top bag or airtight container in your cooler. This minimizes the prep time at the campsite.
  2. Cook the Meat: Place a pot or large pan on your campfire grate or camping stove. Once it's heated, add the ground meat and cook until browned, breaking it up as you go.
  3. Add Veggies: Add the chopped onion and bell pepper to the meat. Cook until they're softened, about 5 minutes.
  4. Seasoning and Canned Goods: Pour in the diced tomatoes (with their juice) and add the beans (also undrained). Sprinkle in the chili seasoning mix and stir everything to combine.
  5. Simmer: Allow the chili to come to a simmer. Let it cook for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you're cooking on an open fire, you might want to use a cast iron pot or pan, as it distributes the heat more evenly and is durable for campfire cooking.
  6. Serve: Once done, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, and top with any desired toppings.
For camping, using pre-mixed seasonings and minimizing the number of ingredients can make the process much smoother. Remember to pack all the essentials, including a can opener and cooking utensils!

If you are using cast iron for this, does that impact the cooking times?