Camp firewood etiquette | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Camp firewood etiquette

Mari Nguyen

When you leave a camp site, as part of pay it forward, is it OK to leave firewood behind for the next person or is that considered trash? We always leave behind stacked neatly next to the fire pit. Last weekend someone gave use a headache and said we were littering.

I normally leave firewood by the pit. Some of the remote cabins I visit, it's an unwritten rule. Ive shown up to camp with little firewood left and its a nice surprise to see a pile of it. already there. People often show up to a camp without enough.

Last edited:
Same here. I have forgotten a number times to bring wood with me, finding a few logs makes your life easier and brings a smile that the universe is looking out for my trip. So when I can, I'll leave some behind for the next person as well. Stack it nicely near the fire pit.

I do if there is no fire ban going on. We've had tough times with fire bans in certain places here last few years. So propane pits all for us. :(

If fires are permitted and I have some wood left, I will if my trip is done and I have some left over wood.

Just did last weekend. Between that and cleaning up trash others leave behind, it's my part throwing good back into the camping cosmos.

Sometimes if I have limited room in my truck. For example when we have lots of trash. Trash will get priority of space, and we’ll leave wood behind then.

We do. Now not all the time, but we have left some behind. It's the nice thing to do when you can.

Ha! We just did last weekend. Think about how you felt when you found some, repeat the process. It's like getting a wave back.