Bureau Of Land Management Rules Off-Roading Is Ruining Moab | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Bureau Of Land Management Rules Off-Roading Is Ruining Moab

Based on what I've seen over the last few years, I'm not surprised. Anytime there's a growth spurt/fad in off road, people get stupid and things get closed.

Years ago I was heavily involved in keeping routes and trails open. This included years of volunteer work fixing damage done by idiots. There are always groups pushing to close everything. What we need to do is not give them ammo.

The official people who patrol and inspect these areas. most of them flat hate us, others tolerate us, a small few like us and do everything in their power to prevent closures. Que in the overlanding fad and it got more out of hand then I've ever seen. Now the "opposition" has more ammo.

One could say, it could be worse. if you look at the last 20 years and focus on what's been closed, Little by little the area not only gets smaller but access to other area's not closed are now blocked. I'm not just talking about Utah. I've watched this happen everywhere for the last 40 odd years.

Two years ago, I took a bunch of people down the Mojave Road. There's a cool side trip to go see some petroglyphs. As we got ready to turn down the canyon, the road was not only closed but the wilderness boundary had been moved. The area we were going is not in the wilderness but the road cuts a newly made corner. By moving the boundary 200 foot, it closed access to an entire area.

The question is, "How does and ant eat an elephant?" One small bite at a time.

Not the first and won't be the last. Look at what has happened in other national parks around the states in the last few years. All these urban people with nothing better to do, and go out there and tear things up with their new trucks.