Bears and food while camping | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Bears and food while camping

Pro Drywall

Camping season is right around the corner! We saw a few bears last season and were lucky not to have any of them mess with us. However my neighbor had one tear open their back of their car. What are you doing to secure food from bears in a way that doesn't endanger yourself or person property?

Oh, hey there! So, I was chatting with a park ranger the other day about camping safety, and one of the things they mentioned was how to keep your food safe from bears.

Apparently, bears have an incredible sense of smell and are always on the lookout for a tasty snack. So, to keep them from getting into your food stash, you'll need to store it in a bear-resistant container or hang it from a tree at least 10 feet off the ground and 4 feet away from the trunk.

It's also important to keep your cooking area clean and free of food scraps, and to never store food in your tent. That could lead to some unwanted guests in the middle of the night!

Overall as the park ranger stated, it's all about being responsible and taking the necessary precautions to protect both yourself and the bears. Hope this helps!

Hanging food 10 feet in the air might be tough in some of the locations we head too. But then again, bears don't hang in those areas! ha ha ha

Portable electric fences are also supposed to be very useful. Depending on the terrain, they aren't difficult to set up either. Do some research and make sure you get one sized appropriately for your needs.

Portable electric fences are also supposed to be very useful. Depending on the terrain, they aren't difficult to set up either. Do some research and make sure you get one sized appropriately for your needs.

Seriously, I had no idea. Going to research on this one myself.

Electric fence? That looks like a lot of work to set up. But hey if it works it works. I've never seen anyone set something like that up.