Battery cycle limits | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Battery cycle limits

Vance Hogg

Any battery gurus here?

I'm looking at Renogy Smart Lithium-Iron 100Ah batteries. They rate these for 4000 cycles. So what happens after 4000 cycles? Will the battery just die or will it hold less charge?

Short answer is their guaranteed to be at what the rating is for 4000 cycles. After that it depends on alot. How was it charged and how low did you discharge it. Did it go to zero and stay there for a while.

Compare it to a good AGM. In a marine/deep cycle, If the AGM is not dropped below 50% you can expect around 1200-1400 cycles. If you fully discharge the battery to 100 percent, you will get about 320 cycles.
AGM's that are used as starting batteries only get discharged around 3%. This increases the lifespan.

Is the Li- Iron battery going to be used as a starting or deep cycle? Its not unusual to get 4k cycles out of one used as a deep cycle.

The cool thing about Lithium Iron is the durability. The down side is if their not charged correctly, they lose lifespan (cycles). Their also less OCD than the other lithium's.

Last edited:
I've heard it just doesn't hold a charge as well, so you may only be able to get for example 90% vs 100%.

I run AGM in my vehicle and lead acid in my trailer. I run the lead acid in the trailer because you lose a little voltage in the wire. Lead acid aren't picky about the voltage as long as your close.
I want to try out some Li-Iron in the trailer but, need to figure out how to keep the charging voltage correct without spending a ton of money for a DC-DC charger.

I'm going to assemble my own batteries. The area their going wont fit a full size so, I'm building a low profile.
These are the batteries I'll be running. This place sells stuff to build your own.
Battery

They sell nice holders for them. The bank will be two high and two across times how ever many I get. I want to end up between 100-150 AH when I'm done.