Why solar input restrictions on portable battery stations? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Why solar input restrictions on portable battery stations?

SpaceRat

I'm shopping around for a larger portable battery and noticed a number of models out there restrict the solar input the unit can accept. Why is that when AC input is higher?

The built in 110v charger is probably low current.
The amount of input current is based on battery type and what the charge controller (BMS) can handle. The BMS is not about limiting current, just voltage. With solar, there's nothing to limit current, only voltage. If the unit is built with 10 amp controllers and your solar output is higher, you burn something out.

The battery pack I built can be charged up to 200 amps. My controller will flow 50 amps. My 110 volt charger is a 10 amp and my solar will flow almost 20 amp. I will never burn anything out unless I can set up a solar array producing over 50 amp's.

How fast you need something to charge should always come into play when searching out something like this. Figure out how much solar you have and make sure the battery pack input is at least a little higher.