What gear is necessary for overlanding? Could someone provide a comprehensive checklist? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

What gear is necessary for overlanding? Could someone provide a comprehensive checklist?

advguy

What are the key pieces of equipment essential for overlanding adventures? Can someone please provide a detailed checklist to ensure nothing important gets left behind?

What do you currently have?

Sleeping bag, tent, stove, sleeping mat, cooking supplies, pillow, privacy tent, bug spray, sun screen

As Frank stated, if you have camping gear now, anything else is just either luxury or vehicle specific.

If your new to this, go to a camp ground. When you get home, list what you wish you had. If you can, go out with others. See what they have and more importantly, what "Cool" gear they never use.

Here's some of my kit.
I go extremely remote and occasionally alone so I carry a Garmin In Reach (satellite communicator). Because I sometimes travel with others, I have GMRS and Ham Radio. I also carry an air compressor to refill my tires when I get back to pavement. A tire repair kit is nice but wont do you any good if you don't know how to use it. Full size spare is a must though.

In the past, vehicles weren't made as well as they are today, I carried a full tool set, spare parts and an on board welder. Today my tool kit is still pretty big but I don't have the need for spare parts.

There a number of sites that will put out huge lists. Most of these are ridicules and some make me wonder if the person who wrote it, actually camped. Basic camping gear, safety gear, cooking and food are up to you. The rest ends up being more tuned to what you like and where you go