Tire Sensor intermittently malfunctions | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Tire Sensor intermittently malfunctions

Crossfit Jeep

My driver side rear sensor keeps going on and off. Because if never stays off, are these things screwed into place? Meaning my sensor isn't bad, but just needs to be reseated?

This is difficult to diagnose over a forum so I'll give you all the info I can. Odds are its on the easy end but never say cant happen.
There's two designs of sensor, both work the same way.
Its either part of your valve stem (most common) or strapped to the inside of the rim( more expensive).

"Your" sensor is part of your valve stem and is mounted inside your rim.
This is a generic picture of your design of sensor. I don't know if these fit your vehicle. Just a random search.
Sensor

Things that can cause your problem from most likely to least likely. I have seen all of these.

1. internal battery is going dead. projected life span isn't as long as one would think.
2. it was damaged by a tire shop changing tires or rims.
3. you have a non factory rim and it wasn't designed for the sensor (flat mounting spot) and the tire shop didn't set it correctly, causing it to fracture

The age of the sensor will change the order of the top two. If the tire has been off the rim recently #2 is most likely. If these are original sensors and their over 7 years old, I would look at battery. The battery is not replaceable, the sensor is a unit and needs to be calibrated. The batteries also have the same life span, if one is weak, they all are.
Originally, these were designed to be replaced every time the tires wore out. Fortunately the batteries last longer then the five years they originally predicted.

I didn't add this last one to the list because I have only seen it once, it was on a Tacoma and it was heavily modified.
The sensor would lose connection to the receiver, when it was rotated close to the ground. Every time it came back up, the signal would reappear. It was a rear tire. These are the farthest away from the receiver. A new sensor didn't fix it.

I very seriously doubt this is your issue. If it was, it would be more common. When searching this issue, you have to stay with your year and model. Even though the sensors are the same, the receiver and location may not be.
A tire shop will just replace all your sensor's. This is procedure for battery or broken issues. Replacing just one gives you diffrent battery life spans. Two months later, the customer is back blaming the tire shop because the light came back on.