Sasquatch Smuggler camper Review? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Sasquatch Smuggler camper Review?

SpaceRat

A friend who knows I'm looking for a offroad trailer forwarded me a link to a camper called "Smuggler". The trailer looks nice, but I'm not familiar with the company or this trailer it self. Was hoping to get some feedback from you all. One of the questions that jumps out to me is if you look at the photos on their website on their kitchen: https://sasquatch-campers.com/smuggler

From what I can see in the photos, it looks like the stove and sink are recessed into the back of the trailer. Creating a pocket of space that would become a grease trap as you are cooking? Or does that kitchen get pulled out?

it looks like it stays inside. Your wiping it down.
The build looks solid and the overall weight isn't bad.
There's two things I question.

1. What's the life span of the rear door when you attach a 55qt fridge to it. The stress on the hinge, latch and mounting are the issue. Is there some kind of latch that keeps the door open or are you holding it if your not perfectly level. Some of my trips, I stop for a bit on the way to camp. I would like to access the fridge and not have to keep one hand holding the door.

2. Who made the suspension and the coil over. "A custom coil over" doesn't cut it for me. I use my gear regularly and keep things for years. I need to know I can get parts when it wears out.

I would like to see one that has been taken off road fairly regularly for at least three years.

I didn't find a video on the Smuggler, but I found a video that shows a walk around that includes the kitchen

+1 on that rear door. Considering that thing is made from aluminum and that big old fridge on it, I'd be curious how that holds up after a couple years of hard use. If that does start to give, what's the repairs look like? New swing arm, hinge or shimming it?

it looks like it stays inside. Your wiping it down.
The build looks solid and the overall weight isn't bad.
There's two things I question.

1. What's the life span of the rear door when you attach a 55qt fridge to it. The stress on the hinge, latch and mounting are the issue. Is there some kind of latch that keeps the door open or are you holding it if your not perfectly level. Some of my trips, I stop for a bit on the way to camp. I would like to access the fridge and not have to keep one hand holding the door.

2. Who made the suspension and the coil over. "A custom coil over" doesn't cut it for me. I use my gear regularly and keep things for years. I need to know I can get parts when it wears out.

I would like to see one that has been taken off road fairly regularly for at least three years.

Where are you seeing the weight of that trailer? I must be blind.

Go to the original link and scroll down to specs.
It shows a dry weight of 1340 pounds. That means loaded it's still under 2k. Compare that to a comparable Patriot at close to 3500 pounds

+1 on the weight, thats impressive for a trailer of that size. I am curious how that aluminum holds up over time of continued offroad use. Design wise, it's a looker. Nice job to the engineers.

+1 on the weight, thats impressive for a trailer of that size. I am curious how that aluminum holds up over time of continued offroad use. Design wise, it's a looker. Nice job to the engineers.

You've definitely got an eagle eye, haven't you? Spotting that weight advantage on the trailer - high-five on that! Now, about your aluminum quandary. To put it into perspective, think of aluminum like the cute new kid who's just moved to Offroad Town. Everyone's curious - "Will they hold up in the crazy offroad schoolyard?"

Aluminum is a bit of a class swot when it comes to being lightweight and not rusting - two pretty neat tricks to have up its sleeve. But, just like that new kid, it's not quite as tough when the big bad bullies (I'm looking at you, Significant Impact) come to play. The good news is that aluminum's been taking some martial arts classes (a.k.a. engineering tweaks like thicker walls or alloy mix-ups), to handle the tough crowd a bit better.

And oh, the design? Absolutely smashing, right? If this trailer were at a car show, it would be the one leaving with a trail of phone numbers and a promise of a second date. Hats off to the engineers, they've pulled off a pretty stellar matchmaking gig here - making a durable, functional trailer look so ridiculously good.

Two things for me:

1. Not feeling that nose
2. The aluminum tire rack in the back I would have concerns over.

Just saw these guys at expo, still not feeling the nose, but nice people behind the brand.

If done correctly, the suspension will take the lions share of any sort of abuse. Just answered similar question on the TOPO 2. A good suspension should take abuse.