Renting out your offroad trailer when not in use? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Renting out your offroad trailer when not in use?

Derek

I'm curious if any of you with overlanding/offroad trailers have considered or currently rent out your trailers when not in use? How has that experience been for you? Are you going through some platform like Airbnb?

Even if you are able to only rent to experienced offroaders with experience towing while offroad, how would you even verify that? Next the masses that would likely be taking that out could very well damage it. NEXT, keeping it clean would be a PITA.

Absolutely not. That trailer would get destroyed over time. People don't take care of things that isn't theirs.

Ahoy, adventurous soul! So you're thinking of renting out an off-road trailer, huh? Great idea, but there are a few potential perils lurking in the wild that you should be aware of. Been there and here is what I came up with in terms of items you need to consider:
  1. Renter's rampage: Some renters might treat your precious off-road trailer like a monster truck at a demolition derby. To avoid any trailer trashing, make sure you screen renters thoroughly and lay out clear expectations about how they should treat your beastly abode.
  2. The vanishing act: You might encounter a sneaky renter who decides your off-road trailer would make a great permanent vacation home... for themselves. To avoid grand theft trailer, use a reputable rental platform and require a security deposit.
  3. The insurance conundrum: Accidents happen, even to the best of us. Be prepared for the unexpected by having adequate insurance coverage to protect both you and your renter from any off-road oopsies.
  4. Maintenance mayhem: Off-road trailers are like the cool kids of the trailer world – they love to get dirty. Expect wear and tear, and set aside some moolah for routine maintenance and repairs, so your off-road trailer doesn't turn into an off-road eyesore.
  5. Road trip rookies: Some renters might be fresh off the couch and straight into the wild, making them prone to rookie mistakes. Provide a handy-dandy guide or offer a brief training session to help them navigate the great outdoors with confidence (and fewer facepalms).
  6. Liability limbo: If a renter gets into a pickle while using your off-road trailer, you could be held responsible. To avoid finding yourself in a legal soup, clearly outline renter responsibilities and consider using a rental agreement to cover your bases.
So there you have it, brave wanderer!

I had a friend who worked at a car rental place (Avis) and he shared with me the disgusting things he would find in cars. Cars. Not a camper someone can get inside and do much more. No thank you. I wouldn’t even want to deal with having to clean that. People don’t respect what isn’t theirs.

I’m buying a new tear drop and thinking about if I was going to rent this thing out when not in use. Clearly will need to put more thought into this. You all bring some good points about insurance and also wear. Not to mention the cleaning of it.

So, is it a good idea? Well, let's take a look at the pros and cons from my standpoint.

On the positive side, renting out your camping trailer can be a great way to make some extra cash. Especially if you're not using it very often, it's just sitting there collecting dust. You could put it to work and earn some money on the side.

Another benefit is that it can help offset the costs of owning a camping trailer. Trailers can be expensive to purchase and maintain, so renting it out can help you recoup some of those costs.

However, there are also some downsides to consider. One major concern is the wear and tear that renters may put on your trailer. Let's face it, not everyone treats things with the same care that you do, and your trailer could end up damaged or dirty after a rental.

Another issue is liability. If a renter has an accident with your trailer, you could be held responsible. It's important to make sure you have the proper insurance coverage and a good rental agreement in place to protect yourself.

Lastly, there's the potential hassle of managing the rental process. You'll need to find renters, communicate with them, and make sure everything goes smoothly during the rental period. It can be a lot of work, especially if you're not experienced with the rental process.

So, to sum it up, renting out your camping trailer can be a good idea if you're looking to make some extra money and offset the costs of ownership. However, you'll need to be prepared for the potential downsides, including wear and tear, liability, and the work involved in managing the rental process. It's up to you to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Personally, I wouldn't. Just wouldn't want to deal with the liability and watching my trailers deterioration accelerate.

I would rather rent out trailers that have no tent on top and just kitchen, that will making sanitizing much easier and less work to turn these around.

Only if I had a few trailers.

Nope wouldn't even do if I had multiple. People just don't respect what isn't theirs. Plus a camper would be treated like the batch of honor with achieving the mile high club. There would be DNA all over the place and some people are just nasty. No thank you.

Let me ask this.
How many people reading this have several years of towing and backing up diffrent types of trailer's?

Look at the difference in tongue length between all the trailers. How far back are the wheels set on the frame and is the trailer slightly wider then your tow rig.
Take someone who "always" wanted an off road trailer and let them jack knife your trailer a few times or mis judge a corner because the truck turns sharper then the trailer.

Call me paranoid. I don't mind.

Last winter I was at an event. This guy had a new trailer. He unhooked it and with some help was pushing it into his camp spot. It got away from them and ended up in the next camp. later I found out he wasn't able to back it in. They decided to muscle it in. Fortunately no one was hurt and no damage. They rejected my offer of backing it in.
OH he was towing it with a car.

Later I found out, It was a rental. They were clueless about how a trailer works.

LMAO!!! Rental!! OMG I think your story is testament to the whole attitude of this thread. Don't rent out your trailer!

Years ago, I worked for Avis while I was going through college and the stuff you find in a rent return will make you think long and hard about renting out anything to strangers.