Recharging a dead 12V lithium battery | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Recharging a dead 12V lithium battery

Chris B Offroad

I have a stone dead 12V lithium battery and while this hasn't happened many times before, I usually just slap my charger on it and let this thing do it's thing. Curious though, is that the right thing to do? Or when battery is dead, is there something that should be done with battery first?

Hey there!

Dealing with a completely dead 12V lithium battery can be a bit tricky. Usually, slapping on a charger and letting it do its thing works, but there are a few things to keep in mind to make sure you're doing it right and safely.

First off, it's essential to use the right charger. Lithium batteries need a charger that's specifically designed for them. Using the wrong type of charger can be risky and might even damage the battery further.

When you say the battery is "stone dead," it's important to determine just how dead it is. If a lithium battery is deeply discharged (like, really, really flat), some chargers might not recognize it and won’t start charging. In this case, you might need a specialized charger or a recovery mode feature to revive it.

Also, before you charge, give the battery a quick check. Look for any signs of damage like swelling, leaks, or weird smells. If you see anything off, it's better to play it safe and get a professional to check it out. Charging a damaged lithium battery can be dangerous.

Remember, lithium batteries are a bit different from your regular lead-acid types. They're awesome because they're lightweight and efficient, but they need a bit more care. They don't like being fully discharged and can get damaged if it happens often.

So, in summary, using your charger is generally okay as long as it's meant for lithium batteries and the battery isn’t damaged or overly discharged. If you’re ever in doubt, though, it’s a good idea to consult a professional or refer to the battery's manual. Better safe than sorry when it comes to battery care! 🔋🛠️

My charger is older one I got from Autozone. Now you have me thinking about something. When I get home will need to check it.

UGH!!!!!!! No

Voltage and current requirements are specific to the battery type. Lithium's are very picky about this. Most lithium fires are due to improper charging.

The two biggest ways to kill a lithium are leave it at zero and overcharging. Overcharging and (or) high temps are normally what cause them to burn.

As a general all around charger, I use the NOCO chargers. These will detect the battery type and charge accordingly. They also have several charging features only found on a few chargers.

I have a small 1 amp for my normal small batteries a 10 amp for just general all around charging/maintaining and a 30 amp(?) direct mount in my trailer. I also have several 5 amp at work keeping everything topped off.

Last edited:
I have a Schumacher battery charger. Cost a little more than some chargers, but I had been told it’s a good charger. It has done everything I expected

Schumacher makes a very good charger. What we have to be careful of, is if its modern enough to properly charge lithium's. Even high end, a ten year old charger may not work correctly for Lithium's. Most automotive grade chargers are only designed for lead acid. Some can do AGM also and few can do lithium's.

Hey thanks guys, I ordered a Schumacher and it just arrived. Huge difference in quality from Autozone!! Really appreciate all your help!