Portable welding machine | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Portable welding machine

RedNeck

Whats a decent portable welding machine that I can carry with me in my truck? Something that is capable of creating strong welds.

Thank you for the help.

You have several to choose from.
First, how are your welding skills and how much do you want to spend?
If you have good electro/mechanical skill, I can tell you how to build your own. I currently have a battery operated MIG that is either self powered or will work off of two batteries.

Here's a link to the 24 volt Spool gun I built. Portable Welder. I now have it housed in a pelican case with a lithium battery pack. (didn't update the thread for it)
Another variation are the alternator welders. These will be arc welding. I built these for people for a number of years. They work very well and you can adapt a spool gun if you like. My Cruiser is the first of my vehicles not to have an alternator welder. This is why I developed the portable MIG. You can also tie two batteries together (24v) and arc weld with that. The current is very high which makes it tricky to do smaller than 1/4 inch. People will tell you to tie three batteries together (36v), don't. I ran that until I started building alternator welders.

Here's some links. The first one is similar to what I have now.

Karnage welder Battery powered, portable.
Bun Welder This is like the project I linked. This can also be tied into an alternator welder.
Premier Power welder This is one of the alternator welders. I started building these back in the 80's. They take up the least amount of room and you can tie a spool gun to them. There are a few others like it if you search a bit.

Here's some pictures of my spool gun battery pack. This is similar to the Karnage welder. I'm still prototyping the battery pack but it's almost done.

1704901799651.png 1704901826134.png

1704901877889.png 1704901848714.png