Mounting jack on hood - safety concern | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Mounting jack on hood - safety concern

George C Lone

Part of me is tempted to mount my jack to the hood. However I'm curious, any of these mounts a safety concern if you get in an accident? Wouldn't this become a missle?

Yes.
Its well documented. The kinetic energy from a few G impact is huge. I saw the result of one where the guy hit a ditch in his jeep. About 30 mph and it stopped him instantly. Two nice hole's in the hood and the jack absolutely destroyed a Joshua tree. I helped tow him back to camp.
Figure the top of your hood is about mid level with someone's rear window.

Personally I wouldn't mount anything on the hood. This is testament to the power of impact and all that stuff that is mounted on your rig.

Most of the time its attached to the rear tire carrier.

Once I got away from rock crawling, I don't carry one any more. I never used it to change a tire either.
If you haven't been around their usage much, approach them with caution. If your going to use it to change a tire, ratchet strap your axle to your frame. If you don't, you have to raise the body high enough to top out the suspension. Also make sure the ground is solid and flat. Also , carry spray lube for when it doesn't work, if you need it. They tend to corrode and rust over time. The spray lube will allow it to collect dirt though and will stick from the dirt it collects.

I carry two "two stage" hydraulic bottle jacks and use one of them under the axle for tires.