Motor shut off after river crossing? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Motor shut off after river crossing?

ZMAN

Years ago with a 1984 Toyota, I had crossed a river that was a bit deeper than I thought and no sooner did I get out of the water, the motor died. I was just looking at photos from this old truck and reminded about how durable that truck was. But I can't help wonder, CAN a motor survive after a water crossing or does it always mean game over?

Assuming it doesn’t suck in water, yes. Most cases when motor gets water into it, hydrolock takes place and that is game over.

As long as your foot's not into it when you swamp the motor you have a good chance of not breaking the motor.

Where I grew up, we had a river crossing and a reservoir. It was common to see someone submerge it. Most of the time, you pull the plugs and pump out the water. I don't recall seeing anyone break anything. Once we got it dried out, they were good. What sucked was, interior mounted computers. If you sat long enough and the cab filled with water, a wet computer is an unhappy computer, especially later when they corrode inside.
Then there was that diesel. HEH