Inflating flat tire with a flame? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Inflating flat tire with a flame?

Frosty JT

I just saw a video with no description of a guy spraying something into a flat tire, then lighting it with a lighter and the tire filled up and was on the rim. What did they spray in the tire to do this and have you tried this?

Starting fluid aka either. Used it mostly to reseat a tire that rolled off the rim. Years ago people would use it to stretch tires on rims.
Pull the valve core, spray into the bead, throw match from a distance and don't be surprised if it jumps a bit off the ground.

It depends on how big the tire is and how much fluid you use in the tire. The small tires tend to be worse. I've done it or seen it, enough times to say you just be careful. I think seating a bead on a low profile tire at work, on a tire machine is way more dangerous. The difference is using high air pressure vs a lower pressure but faster flammable liquid. I've seen tires on tire machines break rims and come close to injuring people.

I use to carry a small can in my rig but haven't for years. Not sure if I will throw one in again.

If I can link it, this is what can happen just filling a tire. Starting fluid wont create this much pressure
Tire exploding

Wanted to add this.
Now we add stupid stubborn people.
Years ago, my group was driving across the desert and we cam up on another group parked to the side. There was a tire and rim laying on the ground. The guy managed to roll the bead off the tire. They were getting ready to try to seat the bead using gas. I offered my can of starting fluid and stupidly pointed out that gas wont burn fast enough to seat the bead. The guy who was in charge of the project told me to mind my own business and he has been seating tires with gas longer than I've been alive.

They poured some fuel into the rim, made a trail away from the tire, lit it and set it on fire. They waited for the tire to seat while it burned. Now the rubber got hot and the tire itself is burning. FYI, catch a tire on fire and its almost impossible to put out.
About an hour later we could still see the black smoke from where we were.

There ya go. I leave the valve core out when I do this. On the second tire, he didnt get the starting fluid inside until the last try. I use a bit more and make sure the spray goes in the tire.
It almost looked like he was afraid of it. I've had the rims jump up about a foot which is why I stand back and drop matches or burning paper on it.