How to fill 5lb propane tank from 20lb tank? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How to fill 5lb propane tank from 20lb tank?

Spencer

I have a couple 20lb propane tanks at my home. I take two 5lb propane tanks with me when camping. The problem is, when I empty my 5lb tanks, where I fill these they have a $20 minimum charge, so either I need to bring a no so empty 20lb tank with me and hope it will take enough to cross the $20 minimum charge or I just pay that. So is there a way I can use my 20lb tank and safely fill my 5lb tanks on my own?

I fill my 1 pounders with an adapter and my 10 pounder with a hose. Hook both together, invert and elevate the 30 pound and open the valve. This way your transferring liquid. Open the bleeder valve on the 10 pound, open the main valve. When you see propane coming out of the bleeder shut it and the main valve. You will get 85-90% fill because your not pumping it.

On the one pounders, yeah about that many. I keep three one pounders in my trailer and two in my cruiser. It takes about a year to go through them. My 10 pound has been designated for my small fire pit.

How long will propane last in these? Man I thought someone had told me some time ago that you need to freeze the propane or something like that in order to fill on your own. That was one of the reasons I never tried.

Freezing the bottle forces the propane to turn to liquid once it hits the cold metal. This lowers the pressure in the bottle being filled, allowing you to fill it properly.
If you don't, it will stop filling once the pressure between both bottles is equal.
I freeze my one pounders. That gets me about 90%. One time I filled them, threw them back in the freezer and then topped them of.. That got them to 100%. Good idea until it gets warm. Now the over pressure leaks out the safety valve. I ended up bleeding down the one pounders to get the valve to stop seeping. When it was done, I was about 90% again.
When I buy new bottles their about 90% full.

That's the way to do it. MUCH cheaper. Amazing what they charge for those 1lb'ers in the sporting good stores.