How Often Should an Oil Service Be Performed? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How Often Should an Oil Service Be Performed?

K David K

This is a must watch video for anyone out there with combustion engines. Eye opening further you get into this video

I'm not going to disagree with what he said but, nothing he said there was based in fact. It was only his opinion based on 40 years as a mechanic. I can blow holes in most of what he said but that's pointless. he did say, people will disagree with him and he is very correct.

The only true thing he said was the manufacture based requirement's are a bit over kill but, they have to guess where everyone drives and how they drive. Then come up with a one size fits all solution.

If you want fact, have your oil analyzed at Blackstone Labs. You may find out your changing your oil too often, not often enough, should run a diffrent oil filter, air filter....
You now know what you need to do based on you and your vehicle.

Have your oil analyzed every two years at least and especially if you just bought it used.

Sorry, at work. didn't get to finish what I was saying.

Again, not saying its bad just opinion based. Also he describes living in so cal but doesn't say it. We are in what's called an "extreme" area. That means due to traffic, short trip driving, hills, high temp, towing....We run a diffrent maintenance schedule. Most of our maintenance is twice what others have to do. He stated we are easier on engines. If he mentioned oil analysis at all, my response would be diffrent.

BTW, Wix Filters changed their design. If your running them now, don't. There's a bunch of reports with them internally collapsing and blocking all oil flow.

If you abuse your vehicles (I do) no one can tell you when to maintain. You need to have analyzation done. There's a ton of opinions, myths and rumors out there. If you want truth, you talk to the fluid manufacture. That means oil, coolant, brake fluid....
He did state "car manufactures need to sell cars". 100% correct. They don't want you to own anything older then three years. What that means is their maintenance schedules may be somewhat incorrect.

Sorry, there's a few things I'm very OCD about. This is one of them

Yeah, video was well done, and he has some good opinions. I have been doing my oil changes every 5,000 miles since college days. It works for me and that's what I'm going to stick with.

Absolutely agree! The reasoning this guy makes is spot on. Dealers aim to sell more cars and are keen on clearing out the used market as swiftly as they can, perhaps with a few brand exceptions. Good post