Grease to use on hi-lift jack stored outside of Land Cruiser? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Grease to use on hi-lift jack stored outside of Land Cruiser?

Cole Barth

I tried using this thing yesterday and it's all a mess right now. I need to get some grease on this thing that will stay on the jack even while outside of truck and crappy weather. Any suggestions?

I tried everything I could over the years. My solution was, tear it down, clean and paint the bare metal. Don't spray anything on it and hose it down with penetrant just before I used it. When I see rust build up again, teardown and repeat.

has the handle hit you in the face yet? zero for me but its been close.

Oh I have had my fare share of close calls with this thing. No avoiding that. If there was something else out there that was more reliable, I would swap it out. But for now considering how this resides out of my way, and DOES work when you need it. Might as well figure out how to keep it in good condition . So question - if you wait to you need it to hit it with lubricant, is there chance its messed up. Now you have two problems?

The parts fit loosely. as long as their clean (ish) mine have worked great. I found any heavy grease just held dirt. I keep a few small sample cans of penetrant in my vehicles. When it comes time, i just hose down the moving parts. It cleans whatever dust is stuck to it.

WD40 is one of my sponsors. They came out with this.....spray grease thats designed for exactly what your asking. Im talking to the reps while they were doing this whole sales thing and it turned out one of them has an FJ40. He said he sprays his Hi Lift once a year and this "Magic" grease not only stays but dosent trap dirt.

He gave me a bunch and I used it. UGH. It was this messy white spray grease that looks like Lithium spray lube. Not only did it trap dirt but it only lasted about a month before turning into a dirty stick mess.
After cleaning all the crap off, I went back to my penetrant.

Oh forgot this.
The dry graphite sprays were great but, they got black crap all over your hands and is hard to wash off. beside that. they were great.

isn't there a white grease you can put on these that sticks to where it's placed? I could have sworn that I read something about the maintenance of these jacks?

That's the main reason I no longer carry one. I would carry a steel plate, short ratchet straps and only use it to raise the body off a large rock. I found out early on their too dangerous for tire changes. I use bottle jacks for that.

There is the cool factor though. On the other hand, I wish I had a picture of the one that was mounted to a hood. About 30 mph abrupt stop tore it off and literally cut a Joshua tree in half. I never thought that was a good idea.

I carry a double ram jack and a standard one. If the vehicle came with a bottle jack (my Toyotas) thats my secondary jack. I use these under the axle for tire changes mostly.

The double ram is because most regular jacks may not be long enough. The reason for carrying two is....not sure just like having a smaller jack even though it pretty much goes unused.