Good time to buy a off-road expedition trailer? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Good time to buy a off-road expedition trailer?

Jeep4Life

We have been thinking about picking up a new expedition trailer and started to notice more of these have been showing up on used message boards. Now we don't want to buy used, but can't help to wonder if we might see some prices coming down on new in the future?

Care to share your thoughts?

I built mine two years ago. During that time, I researched off road trailers heavily. I have experience building desert trucks and have pulled my modified M-100 for a few decades.

My goal was to build a small teardrop type. When I started looking at small enclosed trailers (mostly for design tips) I saw most of them were junk. Most were flimsily thrown together, given a small lift and called off road trailers.
In my opinion, the trailers seemed to fit in three categories.
1. properly done. these are rare
2. decent build but way too heavy
3. total junk.

A problem your going to run into is, you really need to pull it down a washboard road before you buy it or see video of the one your buying being pulled down one. Quite a few of the ones I have off roaded with are so heavily sprung they bounce horribly off road. A few others also had the cabinets come undone because they weren't designed. for dirt roads. All of them worked very well on pavement.

When building anything for off road driving, the springs and shocks have to match the vehicle weight. Most trailer companies "over spring" the trailers because that's what you do making a trailer. We don't want a trailer, we want an off road truck with a sleeping compartment.

I know of a few who do good work but don't remember their names. One is in Arizona.

Well, for prices to come down we'll likely need to see reduction in steel costs. I've spoken to a couple companies who shared they have had to increase prices over last few years due to higher cost of raw materials

Right now is slow season for most of these companies. If you plan on getting one, you have the best chance of getting the best deal this time of the year. Our neighbor bought his Jan 2020 and got such a great price on it. We are looking at some options right now. The only kicker is time it takes to get, many of these are months behind schedule. Just something to keep in mind.

Well, make sure you look around. If you find the right company, some have inventory sitting on lots. So you don't have to wait. Just saying.