Gears swaps both front and rear AND break in question? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Gears swaps both front and rear AND break in question?

Trail Mule

I saw someone else's question about gears and this reminded me of a question I've been thinking about, but never asked anyone. If you move to a different size gear in your truck, are they swapped out in both the front and rear pumpkin? If that is the case, you are supposed to drive 500 miles to break gears in right? If you don't have 4x4 in gaged, does that mean your front gears are technically not broken in?

Hey there! Great question about changing gears in your truck. When you move to a different size gear, you'll typically need to swap them out in both the front and rear differentials (often called "pumpkins" due to their shape). This is because it's crucial to maintain the same gear ratio on both ends, especially for 4x4 vehicles.

As for breaking in the gears, you're correct that it's generally recommended to drive around 500 miles to help the gears wear in and settle properly. This helps to ensure a smooth and efficient operation of your drivetrain. However, if you don't have the 4x4 engaged, the front gears won't be put under load, and as a result, they won't technically be broken in.

That said, it's still a good idea to follow the break-in procedure for your gears regardless of whether you use 4x4 or not. This is because even if the front gears aren't under load, they're still spinning and meshing with each other, which contributes to the break-in process. So, it's better to play it safe and follow the manufacturer's recommendations to make sure everything's working as it should. Hope this helps!

I run Yukon's and abused the crap out of them. I haven't seen Nitro's or Richmond's have issues but, I haven't run them. Careful with G-2 gears. If your not hard on them their ok. I've seen a few sets of those with issues.
Most of my experience with gears is hard use with a large group of friends. Across the board, the biggest issue is not setting them up properly.